Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Family

As I'm more interested, at the moment, with finding out what happened to my grandfather's brothers and sisters than with going back further and further in time I'll start with a run-down of the family.


Henry Rolfe was born in Shalbourne, Berkshire and married Sarah Bailey on 22 January 1876 in the church of St Lawrence, Hungerford.
They had at least eight children:
  1. Alfred b. 1876
  2. Agnes May b. 1877
  3. *Edith Florence (Flossie) b. 6 Jan 1880
  4. *Henry Stephen (Harry) b. 1881
  5. *William James b. 12 June 1885
  6. Julia b. 1888
  7. Philip Lewis (Phil) b. 1891
  8. Mabel Alice b. 1899
*Those with an asterisk next to their name I know have descendants alive today. 



Sarah Rolfe, nee Bailey, mother of Alfred, Agnes, Flossie, Harry, William, Julia, Phil and Mabel.



The Rolfe family on the 1891 census are living in four rooms in a house in Wickham village in Berkshire:

Henry Rolfe
Head
35
Sawyer of Timber
Berks Wickham
Sarah
Wife
34
Hungerford
Alfred
Son
14
Sawyer of Timber
Hungerford
Agnes
Dau
13
Kitchen Maid
Wickham
Florence
Dau
11
Scholar
Wickham
Henry
Son
9
Scholar
Wickham
William
Son
5
Scholar
Wickham
Julia
Dau
2
Scholar (stet)
Wickham
Philip
Son
4mo
Wickham

Only Mabel who wasn't born until 1899 is missing from the 1891 census.
I think by 1911 the family had moved to Farnborough in Hampshire but won't know for certain until I can look at the census details.
Now it just remains to be seen if I can find out what happened to them all, where they lived, what they did, if they had any children and are there any unknown relatives somewhere waiting to be discovered? 
At the moment I'm working on the theory that after Henry's death Sarah married a Thomas Shersby in 1926. I know she married again (but I haven't been given a name) and died after a fall down the stairs at her son Alf's home in 1939 in Southsea, Portsmouth.

1 comment:

  1. I am not sure but I think my mother may be a descendant of Henry Rolfe who was in Mauritius.

    ReplyDelete